This blog is a compiling of Mom's Advice. Every day you meet a Mom that knows a little something about a remedy to your problem. Why not keep up with our Moms and get your questions answered for free?

Monday, March 30, 2009

Mom's Getting Child Support

Child Support can be a curse or a God-send, it depends on your situation. My experience with Child Support was a unique one.

I was getting regular child support each month for my two teens. My ex-husband was sending the payment on a regular basis.

Then the unimaginable happened. I had filled out a form for my children for school to let the school know that they would not qualify for free lunches because I had a regular income and I was receiving child support. Well, they investigated the child support with the State of Texas. Shortly thereafter, I received a letter from the Attorney General's Office asking if I wanted to pursue having my child support garnished from my ex-husband's paycheck. I never sent back the form, but a couple month's later I received a text message from my ex saying that his wages were being garnished for child support for my two children.

After further investigation, the Attorney General's office had taken it upon themselves to start garnishing his wages, and I was also getting the back child support that was owed to me (6 1/2 years behind).

Now, I can be happy about this matter or I can be upset that they stopped my regular payments. I'm choosing to be happy for the simple matter of I deserve it. I deserve to get all the monies owed to me for the years he's behind. I deserve to be able to buy my children the things they need without having to beg for extra money. Not that my children ever went without, but because of not receiving the child support I was owed, I lost a house to foreclosure, I had two vehicles repossed and I had to start my life over in a new city.

Because he chooses not to take care of his responsibilities, he is losing his house to foreclosure now. I guess what they say, "What comes around, goes around" is true.

So for all those Mom's out there that aren't getting the child support they deserve...make the call...go to the website, whatever you have to do to get in touch with the State's authorities on child support...GET IT! You deserve it, your children deserve it, and you didn't conceive those children on your own.

Don't worry about his feelings (or her feelings if you are a Dad with custody). Afterall, your ex-spouse didn't consider how you would feel raising those children on your own.

No comments:

Related Books & Gifts

Followers

About Me

My photo
Mom of two teenagers and co-owner of three businesses. Life is full and I love it!